hi all,  a CCIE from the cisco open forum responded as below:

Answer:
You probably have another bridge on the ring.  do the following debugs
before

trying to no shut the interface

debug source events

term mon

Typically, you do not want to peer to an interface address, but rather a
loopback

address.  This way DLSW will come to the "connected" state.  This of course
would

not help you in this case because you have a problem on your token ring
anyway.

You will need to resolve that.  If you have another RPS (Ring Parameter
Server)

on the ring, and you try to come up with a different ring number, the RPS
will

not allow you into the ring.

i'm using a loopback interface for my peers and its not connecting, routing
might not be a issue here since i have no problem to ping or connecting to
the remote router unless i'm missing out something important here.
 secondly, there is no other ring other than ring 9 and there is no RPS
server present.
flem,  you're right. no MAC address conversion is needed for dlsw unlike
sdlc, cisco doc. confirms this. BUT, what could have gone wrong here...
pls. help and thanks guys,
mohan