What OS are you running on the desktop?
If Win95, upgrade to MS DUN 1.3.

What does
    route print
show, both before and after the dial-up connection.
What is the netmask on your LAN IP address?

You shouldn't have to do anything to have access *to* the Ethernet LAN
*and* the dial-up network at the same time.
You will get a default gateway that will allow access to Internet
sites thru the dial-up, but it shouldn't break access *to* the LAN
side -- you should still be able to access anything on the LAN side.

I do this every day -- in fact that is how I am connected to send this
post.  I am on a PC on the LAN in my house, talking *through* a Win95 PC
(running NAT software) that has a LAN card *and* has made a dial-up
connection to the Internet.  This "NAT" PC talks to both the internal
LAN and the Internet.

The only thing that I see different in your case, is that the LAN is
a subnet of the *same* Class B network as the dial-up.
    NIC = 167.65.104.42
    PPP = 167.65.107.12
I would assume that both prefixes are /24, but (and I'm not gonna test
it), but perhaps DUN has a problem with using subnets of the same
Classful network for the LAN and the dial-up.
In my case the PPP "network" is 10 and the LAN is 192.168.1 --
totally different and no possibility of confusion.

BTW, how is that your internal LAN has the same Class B network address
as the dial-up?

Now, one final point:
Joe used the word "across" the LAN (while I specifically said, "to"),
and he would obviously be correct.
If you were going to access another "internal" subnet, besides
167.65.104.0/24, say, 167.65.200.0/24, then, of course, you'd need
to have a router on your LAN to that subnet *and* add a static route on
the PC to that subnet (route add ...) thru that router.

>From your post, however, I did not take this last situation to be your
problem.  It seems that you couldn't connect to *other* 167.65.104.X
guys.

Tks        | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
BV         | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511