Chuck,

Your item 4 is especially important.  It is one of the things we emphasize in our
Academies.  Students are taught from the very beginning to record all their lab
experiments in an Engineering Journal.  This ensures that they actually understand
what they have done and documents all the problems/resolutions encountered along
the way.

Tom Lisa, Instructor, CCNA, CCAI
Community College of Southern Nevada
Cisco Regional Networking Academy