I have a method that I used for the lab.  Mostly developed by Bruce Caslow
and specified in his book.  Here's how I start things out.  This is all
generic information that I used for all my prep work.  None of this material
is specific to the CCIE lab.

1-Read the entire lab.  Think of all the issues involved with the protocols
and the topology.
2-Write down specific info in a list regarding IP addressing and interfaces
and summarization.
3-Draw a REALLY nice drawing of the network.  Leave plenty of room to write
in addressing info.
4-Label the drawing with all the interface number.
5-Use different colored pencils for different routing and routed protocols
6-Fill in all the IPs from the list you created.
7-Then fill in the rest of the IPs from the allowed block.
8-As you read the exam, look to see if they specify summarizing so that you
create an IP scheme that can be summarized.
look at each router and write down the type/IOS version/IOS name
9-Create a script in notepad with all the common commands that you want on
each router and paste this onto each one.  Put the command "hostname " last
so you can just type in the name of your router and your finished.
10-Next, put the IP addressing on all of the routers.  As you do this do
whats necesary to turn up the interfaces.  Frame Relay/mapping, clock rates,
ISDN/ppp/username/dialer-list.
11-After doing this on each router, go thru and ping each interface, local
and neighbor.  Make sure they are all reachable.  Doing this now keeps you
from wondering if you have a layer 1,2,3 problem and not a routing problem
that may show up in the steps to come.  Remember to that many multipoint
interface types don't allow you to ping your local interface without some
extra programming.  Also remember spoke to spoke reachability in partially
meshed NBMA networks.
12-After doing this, start the main portion of the lab.
13-Try to save access lists to the end.  Remember what access lists will do
to your network.  It can block DLSW, or routing protocols or AURP appletalk
tunnels, etc...
14-Try to get done early enough that you can reload your routers and make
sure everything comes up OK.  Remember that a reload could change your
router ID for OSPF and mess up your virtual tunnels.  But, by IPing all of
your routers before appying routing protocols will help avert these types of
problems.

THINK, THINK, THINK.

Other tips:
    IPX ROUTING X.X.X where X=your router number.  Ex. Router 1 will become
IPX ROUTING 0001.0001.0001
        This tip makes it easy for frame relay mapping, ISDN mapping and IPX
ping testing.
    APPLETALK CABLERANGE X-X X.Y where Y=router number.
        This also makes if easy for frame relay mapping, ISDN mapping and
apple ping testing

JOE
CCIE #5917

""Kevin Welch"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
001d01bfc9b5$7506b2a0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:001d01bfc9b5$7506b2a0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Just wanted to say contrats.  Without breaking your NDA do you have any
> tips/tricks to share with the rest of us attempting to climb to the top of
> Mt. Cisco?
>
> -- Kevin

Bay/Nortel,
> > Fore/Marconi, etc...).  Last year, I decided to work towards my CCIE.  I
> > also decided to get all the intermediate certifications along the way.
> > Starting from last April to November, I did my CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP.
In