In a former lifetime I had a number of issues with clients and a Cat 5000
switch. There are a number of reasons that a station will be fine over a hub
and not a switch.

Could need to upgrade the drivers for the NICs
Could need to set the speed and duplex on the client side as well as the
switch
Portfast
Could need new NIC's ( real pain, I tell you )

Of these, the easiest to try and test is the updated NIC drivers for the
workstations. Bet you have old cards and old drivers!

In my case, new 3com 3c905 nics were fine but the older 3com 3c509 were not.
These days, I understand that new 3com drivers correct problems formerly
experienced by the 509's. There have been discussions along this line in the
past. There may be information in the archives.

As a word to the wise, one should never expect to just remove and replace.
One should always do a bit of testing to discover issues like this before
moving new equipment into production. Live and learn :->

Chuck