It honestly sounds as if your first floor switch is having difficulty moving data
between its ports and the server.

When you're deploying switches in what has traditionally been a shared environment,
you must be careful to ensure that you haven't oversubscribed your uplinks (whether
they be uplinks to servers, or between switches).  Plugging 24 100 Mbps (half-duplex)
connections into a switch with a 100 Mbps (half-duplex) uplink spells disaster.  The
100 Mbps uplink contends with a theoretical (24 x 100 Mbps) 2,400 Mbps capacity.
Using the same analogy, but lowering the client data rate to 10 Mbps results in a
theoretical 240 Mbps throughput for the 100 Mbps uplink to contend with.  And when
full-duplex is used on the client side, the magnitude of the oversubscription
increases again.

Properly deploying switches in a shared network environment requires that you
understand how your network functions--what capacity is required, where Fast
EtherChannel should be deployed, when 100 Mbps throughput should be used and when
should 10 Mbps be sufficient... and finally, when should you use full-duplex, and when
should you use half?

Capacity planning is the **most** important aspect of a successful switch-fabric
deployment.  Undersubscription of links is always preferable to oversubscription.

  -- Leigh Anne