your assumption is correct, however, that would encrypt all ip traffic when
i only want to encrypt the gre traffic.  what's strange is that when i do a
general ACL for ip/icmp traffic it works, but when i do a ping ipx
<neighbor> it doesn't work.  i have verified through debug that a crypto-map
free config allows the ipx ping using ip protocol 47, which i believe is
gre.  the serial interface has no ipx configured, except for a frame map ipx
statement, which i probably don't need anyway.  the tunnel interface has all
the ipx configs.  got me stumped...