From:   Kevin S. Mahler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Thursday, June 08, 2000 9:01 PM
To:     Cai, Land; 'Cisco (E-mail)'
Subject:        RE: ask for help on DHCP

On the PC on Lan1 can you check to see that it got it's IP address and
default gateway?
Windows95/98 command: winipcfg
WindowsNT command: ipconfig /all

What did you set as the default gateway for this scope of IP addresses?
If the IP address is assigned with the wrong default gateway you will see
exactly the type of behavior you have described.  I suspect this is what
is happening.

The default gateway for the scope on Lan1 needs to be the router interface
on Lan1.

If Lan1 is remote and you cannot check the computer, log into the router on
Lan1 and see if it can ping the address.  If it can then it's about a 99%
chance
the default gateway of the machine is set incorrectly.

An incorrect default gateway address accounts for about 75% of the ES
connectivity problems I run into.

Kevin

At 05:44 AM 6/8/00 -0500, Cai, Land wrote:

>Yes, I only enable ip helper-address command on the Ethernet port on
>router1. But there is a quite strange problem. From DHCP manager( this is
on
>NT4.0 ) I can see this active IP registration leased by one of the remote
>client on LAN1, But on LAN3,  I can't ping this active IP. I can ping IP
>address of Ethernet port of router1.  As well, I defined many options for
>this IP scope on DHCP manager, such as domain name, DNS server, WIN server,
>note type.
>Do you have any idea about this?
>
>Landcai

Kevin S. Mahler, CCNP, CCDA, CCSE
Systems Engineer, Cisco Systems
Atlanta, GA

Author of CCNA Training Guide, New Riders, ISBN 0735700516
Tech Editor of CCDA Exam Certification Guide, Cisco Press, ISBN 0735700745
Revision Author of Internetworking Technologies Handbook Third Edition,
Cisco Press

See my homepage at <http://www.kmahler.com>