I used to do this and never had a problem but I got tired of it as well
so....
I put two PCI four port serial cards in one of my computers.
Works like a charm for total cost of $150.
Also, Oz, of this list, in an post earlier in the week, advertised a "poor
man's access server" a.k.a.
Cisco STS  10 x terminal servers.
Connie