which port are you trying to connect to????  the serial DB60 port???  are
you going to use a synchronous modem?  if I recall, I didnt think the DB60
on a 1601 did async...

if you are trying to connect the modem to the console port for out of band
management, that's another story.  Ive got the cable you need sitting right
here.  shoot me an e-mail and we can work something out.

-brad