It is by all means possible.  The only time a switch should modify a frame,
is if you are using VTP.  In that case, it adds a VLAN tag while it travels
the trunk to another switch, and then the destination switch removes it (so
still, the original packet bit-for-bit is delivered.  Switches are
completely transparent to end stations, and get alot of their speed from the
fact that they do not modify packets (which would take processor time).

Your solution, would most likely be to get a 24-port switch (Cat1924
[10Mbps] or 2924XL [100Mbps] for example), and use VLANs.  This alone, will
work perfectly fine (and be more efficient than the 4-hub solution).  Also,
the port configuration in terms of how many ports in each VLAN (or "hub") is
totally customizable (ie, 2, 4, 4, 14 ; 6, 6, 6, 6 ; 4, 6, 6, 8... etc etc)

Then the added questions become, do you need to route between the LANs, or
are they separate networks altogether? (ie 4 small companies sharing a
wiring closet?).

Feel free to ask any further questions you may now have, or if someone needs
to correct anything I've said above, respond directly to my email inbox as
well as the list.

Regards,
  Trevor Corness, CCNA MCSE MCP+Internet