-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond Everson (Rainman) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2000 10:20 PM
To: Michael L. Williams; Daniel Ma; Cthulu, CCIE Candidate;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; Bal Sandhu; Sanjay.Padmanabhan; Chuck Larrieu;
Lou Nelson; Aaron K. Dixon; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Oz; study group
Subject: Re: Sample Question Question

Hi Michael, Daniel, Charles, Duarte, Bal, Sanjay, Chuck, Lou, Aaron, Sam,
Oz...

I've learned two things from this (seriies of) question(s).
    #1:    People would MUCH rather talk about meat/potatoes of tech
questions
            than some of the off-subject crap that gets thrown into this
discussion
            group; and
    #2:    There are some genuinely nice and interested people out there.

This question raises the paradox which we face when taking the CCIE written,
and then evaluating how to handle a lab scenario:  I don't have enough
information
to answer completely.  Please let me explain....

Everyone agrees that the answer is "e. none of the above".   Review the
provided

answer all the way at the bottom.  Under normal circumstances (with no
consideration for zero subnet-enable) .... the statement is correct, this
would
be
an illegal address/mask pair.  But, considering the possibilites of the
world,
I don't see a thing wrong with 193.243.12.43/25. ... and I would have been
totally messed up by that statement.

... which is why Sanjay and Michael and, of course Chuck are getting close
being ready for the lab..... attention to detail.... the "Spot the Issue"
gotcha
in
the config with this scenario is a single line of code:  zero subnet-enable

btw:  Chuck Larrieu wins hands down for his completely awesome explanation
of
how to figure out what evens have in common, and what odds have in common.
After that, it's a simple matter of understanding inverse masking.... DOH!

Thanks a million, you're a fine bunch.

Rainman