Lucent's WaveLan now Orionoco has access control based on MAC address,
anyone else using it?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
benh
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 11:07 AM
To: Olden Pieterse
Cc: 'Collin Clark'; '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: Review of Cisco Aironet

I have an Aironet 4800b access point and a couple of client cards.

There have been problems with the new code they are using.  They
apparently changed to a new radio and a new OS (VxWorks) when they started
the 4800 series units. One of the biggest problems to my mind is the lack
of any scalable and secure method of controlling client access to the
network.  Currently, the only ways to control access to the access-points
are via the SSID and (optionally) WEP keys.

But since these two 'secrets' have to be revealed in order for a client to
get access, I don't consider them to be access control of any practical
sort.

Ideally, there'd be a way to allow/deny based upon MAC address,
preferably in a way that is centrally managable, but that functionality is
lacking in the 10.12 code, and I consider that to be a HUGE barrier to
large scale rollout.

There are other buglets with the code, such as an inability to set a
username/password for management, no way to apply access-lists to
management ports (SNMP, HTTP, telnet), and some menuing issues.

Ben

> I have worked with these beasts before Cisco decided to buy up the whole
> kaboodle (Aironet)
> They work well as long as you dont have interference concerning line of
> sight .
> Sometimes they can really get full of sh.. nonsense in a bridge type
> environment .
> They have to be line of sight and being outdoors & all they can be
bastards
> to work with .
> Metal interferences & so on is not good !!
> They work in fog & mist as far as I know , but not when a metal object
> ccross/obscure the view/line of sight .
> Sitting on top of a Silo's roof in a harbour with a 10 inch kerb with a
wind
> blowing there really want to make you get of there a.s.a.p
>
> I believe we used 2Meg throughput there . They can work quite a distance .
> Ours is in the vicinity of about 4 to 5 kms I think ( thats 3miles = 4.8
> kms)
>
> Hope it helps a bit
> Cheers
> Olden