After all the physical layer stuff is ruled out or fixed if the problem
still exists.  It's time to get your packet analyzer out.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Ole Drews Jensen
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 8:01 AM
To: 'Sim, CT (Chee Tong)'; 'Nigel Taylor'; 'Mike Smith';
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: slowness in network ?? how to cure?? help!!

- Is this one user connected by one cable directly to the switch?, or
- Is this several users connected to a hub that is connected to the switch?
- If more than one user share the same connection to the switch, how many?
- Are you running 10BaseT or 100BaseTX?
- Are you using CAT5 (or better) cables?
- Are the cable you mention lying on top of light fixtures or other
electronic equipment?
- Is the server they are accessing conencted directly to the switch or via a
hub?
- Is your server fast enough to live up to the demands (cpu, memory, etc.)?

and so on, and so on.

A good way to solve a problem like this is to draw your network on a
whiteboard (or somewhere else) and then eliminate one thing at a time so you
end up with your bottleneck/problem.

I do not know what kind of switch you have, but start by looking for
utilization on the port the cable is connected to. If it's up around 70% or
more, then that is probably your problem right there.

Hth,

Ole

 Ole Drews Jensen
 Systems Network Manager