On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Stephen Skinner wrote:

> JEES.....you have been given a load of crap advise......!!!!!!
>
> FIRST lets start at the begininng .....you have 5 pc`s which are connected
> to your switch .....they , i take it are 100 meg cards ...make sure they are
> in HALF DUPLEX....(send and recieve on the same cable) NOT... FULL DUPLEX
> (send and recieve on TWO different CABLES)

Ummm...  Nope.

The twisted pair cables actually have four pairs, of which two are used.
One pair is for receiving and one is for transmitting.  If the PC is
connected directly to a switch, it can and should be set to full-duplex
on both ends.

> (THE WAY YOU GET 20/200 MEG IS YOU TRUNK (2 THATS 2) CABLES TOGETHER USING
> TWO PORTS....... ANYONE TELLS YOU OTHER WISE IS A FOOL)in my experience you
> should make sure the pc cards are set to this ...

This would be true for Fast Etherchannel.  However, it is possible to have
wire-speed (100 mbps) in and wire-speed out simultaneously on one cable
full-duplex.

> SECOND...are you connecting to your main link at 100 meg.... if your using
> cat 5 cabling and the main router is more than 10 meters away IR-REGARDLES
> of what the switch says ...you wont be getting it...

Sure you will.  You can go 100 meters with twisted pair wire, further with
fiber.

> THIRD...FORGET about spanning tree, trunking and all that crap ...START at
> the beginning (I`M NO CCIE BUT I HAVE BEEN ROUND LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT
> YOU DON`T THROW THE CAR AWAY WHEN A CAM BELT GOES)
> 95% of your problems will be simple you just need to start at the
> begining.......all the info you have been given is from PAPER CCNP/A`S
> IF THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT YOU WOULD HAVE IT FIXED BY
> NOW!!!!!

You might want to ease up on the CapsLock, as much of what you state is
in error.  Shouting won't make you correct, just loud.

> >I have a few questions to ask:
> >
> >1) Our company Network are running at 100M speed. Now if I connect a 10M
> >speed 3com hub to one of the ports in cisco 2900 switches (100M speed) in
> >the company network, and I connect 5 pc to the 3com hub, so, the network
> >speed of PC is 10M divided by 5= 2M each or 10M each?

It doesn't quite work that way.  With a hub, any port transmitting at a
given instant will be sending to all of the other ports at 10 Mbps.  They
have to take turns.  If two try to transmit at the same time there will
be a collision and a random delay, then retry.

> >2) As the users complain about the speed, my boss asked me to use the brand
> >new 2900 switch (100M speed) to replace the 3com hub. So I connect 2900
> >switch to 2900 switch that in company network, and connect 5 Pcs to the
> >2900
> >switch, so the speed of PC should be 100M each or 100M devided by 5= 20M?

A switch is capable of making smarter decisions than a hub as far as
directing traffic, and when one port is transmitting will direct the
output to only the port that needs to listen.  With a switch, PC A can
be sending to PC B at the same time that PC C is sending to PC D.

If you have only one connection between the two switches, then the total
traffic between devices connected to the different switches is limited to
100 Mbps.  It would be a good idea to confirm that the link between the
switches is set to 100 Mbps, full duplex on both ends.  The previous
response is incorrect, full-duplex can and will work between two switches
with a single cable.

> >3) But user still complain about the speed, I use the ftp function to check
> >the speed and found the speed is only 150kb/sec= 0.15M only. I suspect
> >because the switches that I used is a brand new switch, I havent configure
> >VLAN and spanning tree protocol on the new switch to block to packet
> >broadcase, so the speed is slow. If this is the case, can I consult you,
> >how
> >to configure VLAN and spanning tree on the new switches? Can anyone teach
> >me? I ever seen the configuration file of a VLAN switches, but I don't know
> >what command should I type to configure VLAN on 2900 switch. What is the
> >procedures? Please help.

If all of the devices are on the same network, you shouldn't need to worry
about VLANs.  Spanning-tree will happen automatically, and just delays the
time it takes for a port to go active when a device is first plugged in for
about 50 seconds.

This FTP test, is it to a server on your local network or out on the
Internet somewhere?

--
Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/