You do not need trunking on the ports to get them to work together... it's a
channel you need to configure. Since your subject includes FastEtherChannel,
I presume you already knew this? But you do not mention it in your message?
Sometimes there is a confusion between trunking and channeling. The first
one is to transport traffic of multiple VLANs over one link. The later one
is to group several physical links together into a logical link with a
greater capacity.
Do you have a channel configured which includes the two ports connected to
the Compaq?

Hope this helps,
Dirk