I agree.  Using the scenario that Jenny used:

rtrA <------>rtrB

If you wanted to block telnet traffic from going from RouterA to RouterB,
you could put the access list on the outgoing interface of router A and save
bandwidth across the link between A and B.  However, the traffic attempting
to travel from RouterA to RouterB came from somewhere (unless you are "in"
RouterA attempting to telnet to RouterB).  Assuming the traffic came from
somewhere, our picture would look more like this

NetA (connects to Ethernet0 on RtrA)

RtrA-----------RtrB

NetB (connects to Ethernet1 on RtrA)

Since the traffic you want to block is coming from NetworkA or NetworkB, you
could apply that same access list to the two Ethernet interfaces to filter
traffic as it comes in from the two networks.  That way the traffic wouldn't
even enter the router and have to be dealt with.

So, yes, you are correct Tom.  The best bet would be to apply them inbound
on the interfaces where the traffic you want to block is originating.

Mike W.