From: Dick Silva [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 11:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbe -- Subnet mask question

Group --

Some enlightenment is appreciated.

The following two examples are directly from Todd Lammle's CCNA book, 2nd
edition.  Pages 140 and 141.

1st example:

Given a network address of:    192.168.10.0

Given a subnet mask:   255.255.255.192  <---- Where does this 192 come from?

I understand that 192 = 11000000
And I understand that there are 2 subnets and 62 hosts and how to calculate
both of these values.  I would just like to know where the 192 comes from
and some
explanation of its purpose.

2nd example:

Given the same network address:   192.168.10.0

Given the subnet mask:  255.255.255.224  <---- So where does the 224 come
from?

I understand that 224 = 11100000
And that there are 6 subnets and 30 hosts.  Again where does the value 224
come from and its purpose.

What determines the selection of these two, 192 and 224, values or any of
the others that are plugged in.   I am not talking about the 255 values.
Those I understand,11111111.

Constructive feedback would be genuinely appreciated.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]