At 06:45 PM 7/15/00, William E Gragido wrote:
>Etherpeek is pretty cool, although I am pretty sure that Sniffer offers more
>total functionality.

Sniffer has a built-in expert system that analyzes packets and
automatically identifies problems. Sniffer also has terrific decodes for
almost every protocol known to mankind. Sniffer has been around the longest
so the developers have had more time to implement sophisticated and
detailed decodes.

Network General was late getting into the market for graphical user
interface analyzers. They stuck to their DOS-based Sniffer for years. Most
people liked that user interface, but it was old-fashioned. Their newer GUI
is kind of clunky.

EtherPeek was first developed for the Macintosh. It has always had an
elegant and intuitive user interface.

EtherPeek doesn't have a built-in expert system, but it does have the
Plug-In Info column that shows you useful information. AG Group also sells
NetSense which is an add-on product that does expert analysis.

Other kudos for EtherPeek: you can capture and decode at the same time.
(With Sniffer, you have to stop capturing to view the packets.)

EtherPeek lets you open multiple capture windows, each with different
filters. Although you can easily tie yourself in knots by opening too many
capture and display windows, you can also use these features for efficient
troubleshooting.

Bottom line: EtherPeek is a terrific product, but some of the decodes need
work.

Priscilla