A presentation at Melbourne Networkers suggested the following guidelines when
configuring frame relay traffic shaping (for data only, not voice).
This assumes that you remote site has a lower access rate than the central site
(or the same access rate).

At remote:
  Set CIR to match line speed
  Leave Tc at default (125ms), therefore don't set Bc
  Set mincir = network 'real' CIR value
  Don't set Be (default=0)

At Central:
  Set CIR to match remote line speed
  Leave Tc at default (125ms), therefore don't set Bc
  Set mincir = network 'real' CIR value
  Don't set Be (default=0)

So in your case you would set cir to 1536000 or whatever a T1 is (sorry, we use
E1s here), and mincir to 512000, and leave the rest to default.

However note that this will not stop your user from getting above 512 Kbps; it
will allow up to the full T1 unless there is congestion - if there is
congestion, it will gradually throttle back to 512 Kbps.
If you want to put a cap on the amount of bandwidth used, set the CIR parameter
to 512 Kbps.  This works well (a little too well sometimes - the default value
for CIR is 56 Kbps.  If you set a frame-relay class command but fail to have a
matching frame-relay map-class (e.g. mistyped name), your traffic is limited to
56 Kbps.  This can be unfortunate :-)

JMcL
---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 18/07/2000 08:55

John lay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 18/07/2000 07:46:40

Please respond to John lay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>