On Dec 9,  6:25am, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
}
} This means that it's kind of a useless statistic since deferring because
} the medium is already in use is absolutely normal on a shared and/or
} half-duplex Ethernet. The threshold where it would be considered abnormal

     I don't know if I would consider it be completely useless.  Yes,
it is completely normal, but an excessive number would be an indication
of an overloaded segment and could use as justification for either
further segmenting the LAN or installing a switch.

} completely depends on the number of stations and their traffic patterns,
} which is not easy to measure or predict on a busy, shared Ethernet.

     This, of course, is the catch.  But, even given this, if a node
can't transmit when it wants because the wire is saturated, then you
have a problem.

} (Luckily, we don't have that many busy, shared Ethernets any more.)

     I see more then I would like.  I also continuously hear lay people
say things like, "It's only a few nodes, you don't need a switch."
However, considering that you can get an eight port unmanaged switch
for $200CDN or less, it's getting to the point where installing a hub
in a bussiness location is foolhardy (unfortunately, there are a lot of
foolish people making networking decisions).  Actually, given the
current costs of both low-end hubs and low-end switches, I expect hubs
to completely disappear from the market in the next year or two, as
they become uneconomical to manufacture.

}-- End of excerpt from Priscilla Oppenheimer