From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
John Nemeth
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 5:52 AM
To: Erick; Luong, David; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Deferred Packets

On Nov 3,  5:28am, Erick wrote:
}
} > On a 10-half ethernet connection between two
} > routers, we are seeing deferred
} > packets happening as well as the normal usual
} > collisions. Are deferred
} > packets just normal as well? Is it expected in
} > ethernet media? Thanks in

     Yes, it is normal and expected.  However, too many, would be an
indication of an overloaded segment.  I'm not totally sure what
constitutes "too many".

} Defered packets occur when the ethernet is too busy
} and the interface can't put the packet out on the
} wire, so the packet is dropped. This is normal. I

     Bzzt, wrong!  The packet isn't dropped, it's held and transmitted
when the wire is free.

}-- End of excerpt from Erick