>Yes, a book on operational Internet routing issues would be great.
>For example, what is SWIP? What is a route registry? In fact, could
>you answer those questions here?? ;-)
>
>Priscilla

Starting points on both:

SWIP
----

SWIP is the Shared Whois Project, which is the means of tracking who
has been assigned what address block.  In contrast to the main
registries at ARIN, RIPE, and APNIC (with more registries such as
LACNIC coming for Latin America), which track the _allocation_ of
provider-independent address space, SWIP goes to the next level and
tracks the _assignment_ of sub-blocks of provider assigned address
space to provider customers.

ARIN template instructions:  http://www.arin.net/regserv/templates/instr.html
    the SWIP template itself http://www.arin.net/templates/swiptemplate.txt

Cable & Wireless' script for generating SWIP requests, which is informative:

http://infopage.cary.cw.net/IP_Addressing/2)_Address_Request_Templates
/swip.html

somewhat dated, but thoroughly readable:  http://www.dx.net/swip.html

Routing Registries
------------------

There's an urban legend that BGP transmits policies.  More correctly,
BGP carries information that can be used in making policy decisions,
but the policies themselves are not explicitly carried by BGP.

It is possible to write down policies, however, and the best current
practice for doing so is the Routing Policy Specification Language
(RPSL). See RFC 2622 for the language specification and RFC 2650 for
an operational use tutorial.

Policies written in RPSL are stored in a distributed database called
the Routing Arbiter Data Base (RADB).  See http://www.radb.net and
http://www.arin.net/routingreg/faq.html  In principle, each AS
records its external routing policies in the RADB.  In practice, it
is optional to do so, and some AS do not list private peering
information.  A wide variety of public domain tools for configuration
and troubleshooting run off RADB definitions.

Routing registries are organized by AS number, but are above and
beyond the AS number and address space assignments by address
registries. Real-world internet operations involves interactions
among AS, routing policies, address assignments, and DNS.