Hello,

Be carefull with collision domain and broadcast domain definitions.
You might indeed have a single broadcast domain including
multiple collision domains.
(Especially with switched ethernet segments.)

Each ethernet switch port is a seperate collision domain,
either UTP or fiber. However, if you consider Fast Ethernet
HUBs, you should think about collision domains. 51.2 bit time
comes into play here, and 205 mt. is a distance limitation
in fast ethernet hub installations. Remember that you can
not cross connect two Type-II Fast Ethernet hubs more than
5 mt. apart, which justifies 205 mt. ( Two hosts connected with
100mt max UTP cable to each hub plus 5 mt maximum hub
distance sums up to 205 mt maximum distance between any two
hosts on a Fast ethernet, hub-only  network. )

Besides, fiber ports run full duplex which prevents collisions.
If you have a port with collision possibility, you still have
the distance limitation.
Fiber distance limitations have much to do with signal attenuation,
Laser or led used in transmitting circuits, gain-bandwidth product
of the cable, etc. than the collisions.

(List, am I correct at Type-II hubs, or was that type-I ?)

HTH,
Ufuk.

"Randy Witt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 27.07.2000 16:53:55

Department:

Please respond to "Randy Witt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>