The way I see it Drew is that every switched port 'contains' a collision
domain, which means the collisions are not propogated to other switched
ports.

I'll try to explain by commenting below:

>Marc,
>
>I'm not sure I understand this.
>
>Let's say I have a hubbed network with 20 hosts. Lots of collisions.
>
>I bring a 4 port switch into it, and sub-divide it into 4 hubbed segments
>of
>5 hosts each. No collisions? Or just extremely low likelihood of collisions
>on a given segment?

Collisions will still occur within each switch port, because there are hubs
attached. In other words, each port will still receive collisions from the 5
hosts. But the key is that each switched port 'contains' that collision
domain, so that the collisions are not propogated onto the other swithed
ports.

>Extend the scenario - those 4 hubbed segments grow into 4 hubbed segments
>of
>approximately 20 hosts each. Lots of collisions on each segment but no
>collisions across segments? Or no collisions on any segment because it's
>switched?

No collisions extended across the switched ports.

>I *thought* [don't know] the idea behind subdividing networks with switches
>was to reduce the likelihood of collisions by introducing more and more
>smaller network segments, and that as the number of hosts grows on a
>particular segment, one needs to continuously subdivide to minimize the
>likelihood of collisions.

The ideal network is a completely switched network, no hubs. No collisions
in full-duplex mode.

>You and others in this thread seem to be saying that incorporating switches
>into a network is to completely eliminate collisions. True? False?

True, but only when eliminating the hubs.

>Please clear this up for me....thanks.

I think you've got it all right Drew. But maybe I was unclear with my
response. If you have a totally switched environment, no hubs, running
full-duplex, no collisions will occur.