On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 11:53:09AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Is there anyway or any program that could automate this process?
> (how are the other companies dealing with this problem?)

You can write shell scripts.... Break the task into pieces...

One shellscript for example that reads all routers out
of an ASCII database or simply an ASCII database, that
is read by script, here a snipplet from a script I use
to save running config of all routers mentioned in file
CISCOS=path

for entry in `cat $CISCOS`
do
        # read a line from router table and set arguments...
        set -- `echo $entry | tr ':' ' '`
        ip=$1
        name=$2
        type=$3
        passwd=$4
        enable=$5
        echo ">> writing config for $name ..."
        $HOME/scripts/write_config $ip $type $passwd $enable
done

$HOME/scripts/write_config:
--------------------------
CISCO=$1
TYPE=$2
PASSWORD=$3
ENABLE=$4

if [ $# -ne 4 ]; then
        echo "usage: write_config router | ip_address password enablepwd"
        exit 1
fi

case $TYPE in
        router)
                nc -w 10 $CISCO 23 << !EOM | sed -e "s/^M//g" | sed -e "1,/Password:/d"
$PASSWORD
ena
$ENABLE
term len 0
wr
quit
!EOM
        ;;
[...]

You can use nc (netcat) to connect to the router instead of using expect
which sometime hangs ...

        Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                               http://people.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas