I work with a lot of different vendors firewalls and IMO PAT is a security
feature (to a degree). like many other security features its not perfect by
itself, but when combined with other features its creates a full firewall.

technically PAT alone would be an aspect of stateful inspection/translation,
which is a first generation firewall. as you already stated though, you have
no idea whats in the incoming packets above layer 4, so thats the risk.

of course if you had a static translation or regular NAT, thats a whole
different story.

scott

""Doug S""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On my home network, I rely almost exclusively on NAT overload for
security.
> Even though I know it's not a security measure, I've yet to hear anyone
with
> a good explanation of why it's not enough, at least for a home network.  I
> know there's a bunch of really bright people here, so if anyone would
point
> out the flaws in my reasoning, I'd love to hear it.
>
> Below are some exerpts from an email converstation with a friend that
> explain how I think about it:

> I mostly rely on NAT overload for security.  The only traffic that will be
> allowed in is traffic for which a translation has been created.  Since
these
> translations are only created by outbound traffic, no one from the outside
> can initiate a connection unless they bypass NAT by using the actual
private
> ip addresses configured on the workstation.  To do that, they'de have to
> have no routers between them and my router (meaning my ATT segment only)
as