Well loads of answers already, but my £0.02-> Routes to null can be used to
blackhole traffic with lower overhead that an ACL, but obviously with less
granuality.

You could also use routes to null for redistribution, I have used this in
the case of EIGRP when I wanted to redistribute static routes into EIGRP but
wanted to keep them as internal routes, added a route to null and then
redisitributed it that way .. static routes the specifiy an interface as the
next hop are redistributed as locally connected and this internal metrics.

Lastly, and what it seems to be used for in your case is BGP summarisation.
Say for eg you had various /26's in your routing table, we would want to
summarize this out to the rest of the world as a single /24.  BGP will only
advertise routes that are present in your internal routing process.  This to
force the BGP process to advertise the larger /24 prefix, you have to
manuall inject this route into your routing table by using the route to null?