Not sure what engine line cards you're running on your GSRs, but I've
run into several a problems with ACLs on the GSR platform.   It's not
until you get to the E3 ISE or better LC where ACLs are handled
reasonably.

Three problems from memory:

* E0 line cards run the ACLs off the LC CPU and not ASICs.  Thus you
need
to monitor the LC CPU to make sure you're ACL processing isn't impacting
forwarding performance.

* E2 3xGE "trident" LC.  At the IOS rev we had, the LC could only do
ACLs in
one direction on the LC (I think inbound).  If you wanted to do an
outbound
ACL, the ACL was actually copied and executed on all other LCs.    This
of
course caused problems (bug) on another LC.

* Pre E3 LC, pick one: ACLs or netflow.

I'd avoid ACLs if you can null route it.

Karsten wrote:

> I'll clarify. On lower end cisco routers not running
> bgp, yes, it will save you some cpu cycles. But most
> of the routers I'm working on a day to day basis(12Ks, 10Ks, 7200s)
> are running full table and hardly get slowed by by acls.
> Not to mention the problems a null route (for the purpose
> of bit-bucketing) can do when your're using null routes for bgp.
>
> -Karsten
>
> On Thursday 03 April 2003 10:53 am, MADMAN wrote:
> > Sloppy!? why??
> >
> >    Dave
> >
> > Karsten wrote:
> > > Either a sloppy way to drop traffic for a /24, or bgp
> > > summarization using null routing.
> > >
> > > -Karsten

Several