Daniel Cotts wrote:

> Problem is that you don't know if the issue is ongoing or a one
> time event.
> Best to check counters every day.
> If you can view the stats on the CSU/DSU or Service Module or
> NM-CSU then
> look for physical problems - errored seconds, etc. If part of
> your loop is
> copper then also look for correlations such as errors when it
> rains.

Seriously? When it rains? Why is that an issue? And how about fiber-optic,
it could be affected by rain too, couldn't it?

A local company here in Oregon spent a bunch of money to put a fiber-optic
link under the ground out to a foreman's office at a timber company.
Unfortunately, they put this link underneath the path where the big lumber
trucks drive in and out, causing lots of mud and guck and standing water.
The fiber-optic link had all sorts of problems!

So then they tried wireless. Guess what? A wireless signal doesn't go
through tall trucks stacked with logs very well.

Last I heard, the final solution was a copper link in a sealed conduit. It
exceeds the supposed 100 meter limitation, (which is why they had originally
thought fiber), but it works fine and was cheapter than replacing the
water-logged fiber equipment.

Just a fun story from the Pacific Northwest that I thought you would all
enjoy. :-) And guess what, it hasn't rained here for almost 2 weeks! Hooray.

Priscilla