I feel your pain!  I am sitting here looking at a "correct" configuration
that is not working.  Cisco TAC seems befuddled as I am.

Why is hte PIX so erractic?  This sometimes work, sometimes not is driving
me bonkers!

Whatever you do, do NOT use 6.3 unless there is a specific feature or bug
fix you KNOW that you need.  Nothing but heartache for me since I tried to
upgrade to that piece of..oh, look, a butterfly!

Thanks for the rant opp.

Charles

""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Bruce Enders wrote:
> >
> > What kind of output do you get after  the write mem or copy run
> > start
>
> Wasn't Cisco supposed to depricate "write mem?" I never learned those
forms
> of the commands because when I first started learning Cisco eight years
ago,
> Cisco said not to bother learning them because they were going away!
>
> Then yesterday I discovered that my new PIX firewall wouldn't take "copy
run
> start?" Or was I making a typo or something? I had to reach into the back
of
> my mind and come up with "write mem" which I thought they were going to
get
> rid of. And I approved of that plan since it's totally non-intuitive. :-)
>
> Speaking of non-intuitive, why DO we put up with the PIX? What a beast. It
> took me all day to get it to do some simple forwarding. The thing is
> expensive, slow, and almost impossible to configure. Why do we put up with
> it? :-) Not being able to do "copy run start" took the cake.
>
> Rantings from a frustrated Cisco fan.
>
> Priscilla
>

> > commands? Anything?
> > Also, after you save the config, do a show start to see if the
> > changes
> > have in fact been written to NVRAM. (I suspect the problem is
> > with NVRAM,
> > although I personally have never encountered a write-protected
> > NVRAM on a
> > Cisco router before, but that doesn't mean it can't happen! And
> > your
> > symptoms certainly sound like that is the case)!
> > Since the existing configuration is still there when you
> > reboot, I doubt
> > the problem is with the config-register.
> > I will be interested in what you find,
> > Bruce
> >
> > MADMAN wrote:
> >
> >   That's a good one!  After saving the config do you see the
> > changes
> >   when you do a write term?  What is the platform and the IOS?
> >
> >      Dave
> >
> >   Hitesh Arora wrote:
> >
> >     Dear All,
> >
> >     I need some expert comments from this group for my problem.
> > The router is
> >
> >   in
> >
> >     working condition and 3 links are working fine on this
> > router. Now I need

> >     do some changes in the router configuration. After changing
> > and saving the
> >     configuration, I gave a reboot to the router. But I find,
> > that router is
> >     back to the previuos old configuration. Why so??
> >
> >     I have checked that the config-register setting is set to
> > 0x2102. Sh
> >
> >   Version
> >
> >     command also shows me the config-register is set to 0x2102.
> > I have applied
> >     the config-register 0x2102 command also to be doubly sure
> [...]
Best