I thought show conf was the equivalent of show start, not show run?  That
seemed to cause an issue once with someone I was helping over the phone.  I
wasn't aware that show config wasn't the same as show run and he had an
issue similar to the original post in this thread.  He kept making changes
to a config but show conf did not reflect those changes.

Or at least I think that's what happened.  It's been a while.

John

Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> Bruce Enders wrote:
>
>>What kind of output do you get after  the write mem or copy run
>>start
>

> Wasn't Cisco supposed to depricate "write mem?" I never learned those
forms
> of the commands because when I first started learning Cisco eight years
ago,
> Cisco said not to bother learning them because they were going away!

   Yes I heard that in about 1995 but in 12.3.1 I can still use the old
"wr" for write mem, "sh ha" for sh ver, "sh conf" for sh runn and "wr t"
in place of sh runn.  I guess I'm a luddite :)

> Then yesterday I discovered that my new PIX firewall wouldn't take "copy
run
> start?" Or was I making a typo or something? I had to reach into the back
of
> my mind and come up with "write mem" which I thought they were going to
get
> rid of. And I approved of that plan since it's totally non-intuitive. :-)

   It used to be worse!  Yes the PIX is confusing in many respects when
accostomed to IOS CLI.  One thing they got right is you don't have to
subnet mask one way with interfaces and another with access-lists,
something I always hated about IOS!!

> Speaking of non-intuitive, why DO we put up with the PIX? What a beast.
It
> took me all day to get it to do some simple forwarding. The thing is
> expensive, slow, and almost impossible to configure. Why do we put up
with
> it? :-) Not being able to do "copy run start" took the cake.

   Don't feel too bad, I am trying to get a simple static NAT for a mail
server working for a customer, should be simple, ya right, TGIF :)

   Dave

> Rantings from a frustrated Cisco fan.
>
> Priscilla

David Madland
CCIE# 2016
Sr. Network Engineer
Qwest Communications
612-664-3367

"Government can do something for the people only in proportion as it
can do something to the people." -- Thomas Jefferson