I've been trying to hold my tongue on this one since this firestorm comes
up at least once a quarter....BUT:

NRF is correct.  Attacking him and his motives fails to address the issue
at hand.  Rightly, or wrongly, there is a slight devaluation of the CCIE
certification and it's not NRF's fault.  Let me be clear:  I'm not
attacking any one who has earned, or is pursuing, the CCIE designation.  I
think any process that furthers an individual's knowledge, including the
CCIE certification process, is valuable.  But, let's go back to the
original post... the original poster believed that the rate of people
pursuing, and passing, the CCIE examination was increasing by quite a bit
and wondered aloud if this was devaluing the certification.  And, the
answer is: yes, to some degree.

Now before you pounce upon me, try to follow my logic.  If you can't be
bothered to read the logic, at least skip to my conclusion at the end
before bashing me.

DISCLAIMER: I realize that this is simplifying things...you economists in
the audience shouldn't send me emails pointing out the complexity I left out.

Certain basic economic laws apply to all commerce transactions, including
the exchange of money for skilled IT labor.  The two laws that apply are:

1) The Law of Supply.  This law states:
         a) that at higher prices, producers are willing to offer more
products for sale than at lower prices.  In terms of this discussion, this
means that when companies are willing to pay higher salaries (PRICE), CCIEs
(PRODUCERS) are willing to provide more services (PRODUCTS) than when
salaries are low.
         b) states that the supply increases as prices increase and
decreases as prices decrease.  Means that more people will become CCIEs
(producers) to cash in on the higher prices (SALARIES) and people will stop
trying to work as CCIEs when the salaries drop.
         c) states that those already in business will try to increase
productions as a way of increasing profits.  This is very similar to, but
subtly different than, part a. Whereas in part a, the producers will offer
more services in terms of product offering, part c indicates that producers
will try to work more hours to optimize income.

2) The Law of Demand.  This law states:
         a) that people will buy more of a product at a lower price than at
a higher price, if nothing changes.  This means that companies will request
more services, up to the point where the company no longer can make use of
the services, at a lower price than at a higher price.
         b) that at a lower price, more people can afford to buy more goods
and more of an item more frequently, than they can at a higher
price.  Again, this means that at a lower salary, companies can afford to
buy more IT services more frequently than they can when salaries are high.
         c) that at lower prices, people tend to buy some goods as a
substitute for others more expensive.  This means that when the services of
a CCNP are cheaper than those of a CCIE, and the services of the CCNP are
sufficient, then companies will tend to only purchase (hire) the services
of a CCNP.

The equilibrium point, where supply equals demand is known as the Market
Price.  The market price will remain unchanged as long as supply and demand
remains unchanged. If there is an increase in demand or a decrease in
supply, the market price will increase. If the opposite occurs, that is, if
demand decreases and supply increases, the market price will decrease.

Now, when you apply these rules to the current CCIE certification /
economic situation, several things become clear:
1)      CCIE salaries have always been fairly high.  This is due to the
higher demand for CCIE services and the relatively low supply of CCIEs
available.
2)      There are many people who wish to cash in on the high salaries
typically paid to CCIEs.  However, there are barriers to entry (another
economics term) for suppliers.  Namely, the cost of the certification and
the intelligence / experience required to pass the difficult
examination.  These barriers will prevent everyone who wishes to become a
CCIE from actually attaining the certification.
3)      One of the barriers for entry (CCIE test requirements) has recently
been lowered.  Namely, the move from a two day test to a one day
test.  Since twice the number of people can now take the exam as could
previously take the exam in a given time period, the number of those
passing in a given time period is going to increase.
4)      Without an additional barrier to entry being erected, such as
increased difficulty, one could reasonably expect that since twice the
number of people are taking the exam per year, that twice the number of
people will pass the exam per year.  Around July 1999, the numbers were in
the low 4300s.  A year later, the number was less than 6100.  By July 2001,
the number was in the low 7700s.  In other words, roughly 1600-1800 people
were passing a year under the two day system.  The lab went to one day in
October 2001...one of the first "one-day" numbers I remember seeing was
8248.  We should expect then, that difficulty being equal, that
approximately 3400 people should pass per year and that the number should
be approximately 11648 (8248+(1700*2)) by October 1 of 2002.  The first
number I can find is 10393...significantly less than would be expected, all
things being equal.  To see if the difference was difficulty or just the
lack of information on the new lab, I looked at the number of people
passing from October 2002 to present.  The most recent number I've seen is
11757.  Which, averages about 170 people per month.  Extrapolating to
October, the number of people passing from Oct 2002 to Oct 2003 should turn
out to be around 2044.  My conclusion then, is that since the labs stay
booked, and since the expected doubling of the people passing has not
occurred, that the new lab is somewhat more difficult than the old
lab.  Therefore, the "difficulty barrier" was increased to partially, but
not fully, counter the effects of lowering the "quantity barrier" (number
of lab seats).  Had the difficulty been raised enough to fully counter the
quantity barrier, the number of those passing would have been held constant.
5)      Because of reasons in number 4, I contend that those passing the
CCIE examination are, on average, capable of performing difficult
networking tasks.  In translating to the real world, I'm going to make the
generalization that because the exam is rigorous, CCIEs, new or old, offer
specialized skills to the marketplace.
6)      The US economy, and to some degree the world economy, is somewhat
depressed.  Many CCIEs are currently out of work.  My evidence is
anecdotal...I'm only going by the number of people I know and the quantity
of resumes I receive.  In any case, this means that the supply of CCIEs is
high.  Since fewer than 100% of CCIEs who wish to work are working, this
means that there is excess supply.
7)      People continue to take, and to pass the CCIE exam.  Supply is
continuing to grow, despite the excess supply.
8)      As supply grows, demand weakens, all other factors being held
equal.  The only ways to counter the excess supply problem are:
         a)      Increase demand.  Until our economy picks up, I don't see
this happening.  The unpleasant fact of the matter is that many networks
can be maintained and run by a CCNP level individual.  Without the need
(demand) for higher skills, companies will hire the cheapest person that
still meets their need.
         b)      Prices decrease.  If CCIEs are willing to work for less
money (decrease price), then demand from the purchaser (companies) will
increase.  After all, if a CCNP individual meets the needs, but a CCIE can
be hired for the same salary as the CCNP, then, in many cases, the company
will hire the CCIE...thus devaluing the CCNP in the process by creating
excess CCNP supply (those looking for work).

Conclusion?
My interpretation of the market tells me that while the technical knowledge
level of the CCIE is still very high, and that the knowledge value of the
individual CCIEs is still a valuable "personal" commodity, the
certification has been devalued in the marketplace.  Not because the
program isn't rigorous or because Cisco is passing more people per year,
but because outside economic factors have reduced the demand from
companies, resulting in an excess of qualified labor.  This devaluation may
or may not be temporary, based upon future unknown events.  If you're
pursuing a career in networking because it brings you personal satisfaction
and not because of the money, then this devaluation won't really make a
difference to you one way or the other.  After all, most people who become
full time artists do it for the love of art...not the big salaries.  If
you're in networking strictly for the money, you should closely examine the
trends and make your decisions accordingly.  As for me, I'm somewhere in
the middle.  Personally, I love my job.  I love networking.  But I'd find a
new career tomorrow if I'd be capped at $20k a year due to market
pressures.  Afterall, I have a family to feed. :-)