Nate wrote:

> It is entirely possible that the monitoring software (Lucent
> Vital Net) is
> showing something other than discards.

Your monitoring software probably uses the word "discard" for "drop" and is
just doing what you have already done, which is "show int." As we have all
said, output drops on a serial interface are almost always caused by simply
too much traffic. You said that bandwidth usage wasn't the issue, but I
agree with the other poster that you may not be getting an accurate picture
because of the 5-minute exponential nature of the load stat. See Brad's
excellent advice about changing this.

You said something about 2 redundant links. Which link is actually getting
used? Is load balancing supposed to be occuring? Maybe only one link is
getting used and it's overwhelmed. Trace-route might help you with that.
Also examining the routing table should help.

Your monitoring software may mean something else by "discard." I'm still
worried about the tunnel. If I understand it correctly, you've added headers
to the traffic to support IPSec. That can cause packets to be too big to
support the MTU of the interface. These packets must get "discarded."

Unfortunatlely, the only way I know to determine if packets are getting
discarded due to an MTU issue is with "debug ip packet detail" which is
risky on a production network. Well, the other way, is a WAN sniffer or
Ethernet sniffers on both ends of the WAN link to see what's getting across
and what isn't and to monitor for any ICMP errors.

Folks, how else could he determine if there's an MTU issue?

Finally, one last comment to echo Brad's comment. If users aren't
complaining, don't worry about the drops! Seriously. As HCB would say, "what
problem are you trying to solve?" Good luck with it, regardless. :-)

Priscilla