Hello,
I'm trying to wrap my head around a some offers from different IPSs. This
stuff (running BGP on internet routers) really is (currently) a bit over my
head, but I just can't bring me to accept the hardware requirements.

What we need to achieve basically is full redundancy on our internet
connection (we can't depend anymore on the working condition of one ISP, in
case his backbone should break temporarily, which did happen a couple of
times lately), which means getting an AS, with links to internet from at
least two different IPSs, and running BGP.
We can't manage with more low-end connections (load balancers with dynamic
dns and so on) since we need to keep working current (ssl) sessions when
something brakes.
On the other hand I haven't yet any data on the current performance of BGP
in a setup like that - if provider A (connected to, say sprintlink) does
lose its working condition (here in Italy), customer is in USA AND provider
B has independent connection to USA backbones (say... alter.net, just
pulling some random traceroutes), how long does it take typically before
routing does reconverge and the customer can reach us again ? Will it be
possible keeping running existing connections or is this simply unreasonable
? I'm still waiting for data from those ISPs :(.

The whole thing would be managed by one of the IPS. The final setup probably
would be simple - incoming WAN links to (currently) two ISP, terminated on
their own routers. Those connected to a redundant couple of routers running
bgp, connected to our network.

Well, one of them asks VERY reasonable rates for the long term management of
the whole thing (something like 500euro/year) - they claim a low management
fee since "after installation for a simple setup like that there won't be
the need for many changes". But they want at least a couple of 3640, maximum
memory configuration, for the BGP routers, which seems ok to me after
reading some discussions on the size of the current routing tables.

The other ISP wants to charge a whole LOT more for the management work
(several tens of thousands of euro/year) but for the bgp setup the claim a
couple of 1720 would be enough - which seems a bit small to me ?

I'm not trying to make you work for me, I'm only trying to get some feel for
what is reasonable and what is bullshit - since based on past experiences I
don't trust either of those ISPs very much, and unfortunately those are the
two (local) major providers so I don't have much choice - we will have to
include those two in the setup. I'll be glad for any kind of info, even
"usually around this order of magnitude is ok" will be fine.
Thanks
Heiko

--
-- PREVINET S.p.A. www.previnet.it