At 1:57 PM +0000 6/22/03, - jvd wrote:
>Thank you for your answer Howard. Unfortunately I don't have enough
>experience to answer in such depth as you did but maybe one day I'll get
>there. :-)
>
>PS. Isn't it good to see that experts participate in this forum too?

Ah, but you are missing some of the nuances of what the experts say:
they _know_ they don't know.  Incidentally, we divide the problem
into three parts:  eBGP convergence (with one and multiple peers,
with no policy or route selection modifiers to start), iBGP
convergence within an AS, and Internet-wide convergence.  Our focus
is on the first and second, while some of the best work on the others
comes from people like Craig Labovits, the late Abha Ahuja, etc.
There's yet a different issue of route stability across the Internet,
explored at length in Vern Paxson's PhD dissertation.

A little history about how our BGP work got started.  One fine day,
when I was working at Nortel as a router designer, somebody from
sales came running in asking "how many BGP peers can we have?"  I
started to explain the honest answer of "it depends."

It should be pretty intuitive that you can have more peers that are
customer routers accepting default and announcing a couple of routes,
than you can routers that are exchanging 100,000+ routes.

That wasn't what sales wanted to hear.  What they wanted to hear
simply was that we did more than Juniper. They only wanted that one
number, while the reality is that there are lots of things that you
can't meaningfully reduce to one number.

So, I wrote the first draft of BGP convergence definition, first as
an internal document, then as an individual submission from the IETF.
Very quickly, we found that engineers at other router and router code
manufacturers were being driven crazy by sales as well -- so we
rapidly had a team involving Cisco, Nortel, Juniper and NextHop (the
last makes OEM router software -- the commercial GateD).   Test
instrument vendors got interested because they wanted to have a clear
measurement to build against.

Incidentally, credit where credit is due -- one of the silly things
holding up our final publication is an IETF (actually IESG) rule that
an RFC can just have five authors. We have six active participants.
Alvaro Retana, our team member from Cisco, gracefully volunteered to
have his name moved to the acknowledgement section to get around the
problem, but he is as major a contributor as anyone else.

Unfortunately, we slowed down on the measurement methodology with
about half of us losing jobs, being reassigned, etc., but we are
hoping to get personal time to finish it. We had three measurement
testbeds, at Nortel, Cisco, and NextHop.  (No, we aren't going to
release the actual numbers--that's not what the IETF is for).

It is interesting, however, to find that convergence times will be
different, with exactly the same number of routes and other
parameters, between a Cisco and a Cisco, a Juniper and a Cisco, a
Juniper and a Juniper, etc. There are pure implementer decisions that
can slow down -- or in one case speed up -- talking to a router with
different internal assumptions on the way you store the Loc-RIB or
the order in which you send prefixes in updates.