At 08:35 PM 6/21/2003 +0000, - jvd wrote:
>Hi Zsombor,
>
>The last time I checked BGP was a routing protocol, that means there is an
>algorithm running that's calculating the best path to a destination. A bunch
>of information is advertised to you and your router needs to decide which
>routes to put in the routing table based on the information in the BGP
tables.

>So of course you need a processor to do this.

No doubt about that. :) Holding the routes however doesn't require any
processing. So I am thinking that the sheer number of routes impacts only
the initial convergence time, when the BGP session comes up. This appears
to be far less common than what comes after that, ie. calculating the
effects of continuous routing updates. So the rate of incoming routing
updates seems to be a more important parameter when trying to guesstimate
the CPU utilization. Due to the nature of the best path calculation,
probably the number of peers plays a role, too. I haven't seen these being
mention in the discussion so far, and I was wondering if I am missing
something here.

I glanced through the document you referenced below, that also seems to
talk about memory issues only.

You haven't answered my question as to how you know that the 1720 is not
fast enough but the 2691 is. Did you do any tests, or have you seen the
1720 fail in a live network due to too many BGP routes?

Thanks,

Zsombor