From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 3:55 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: CCDA Study material [7:71111]

CiscoNewbie wrote:

> Hi all.  I am going up for my CCDA cert and would like to know
> what are the recommended books and material to study with?

Nothing is out yet for the new version of the test, as far as I know.
Your
best bet would be to take the instructor-led class, if you can afford
it.
With a good instructor, I think DESGN could be a really great class.
It's
got tons of meat now, much more than before. It has a big focus on
systems
analysis as it is taught at universities, as a real discipline, not just
bunch of hand-waving. The class also has a huge scope, covering almost
everything you ever wanted to know related to campus and enterprise
networks, from business (which they call social or organizational)
goals,
technical goals, topologies, architectures, modular design, addressing
(including IPv6), routing, voice, network management, and security.

One focus is on the SAFE architecture, so look that up on Cisco's site
and
learn it. There's also some AVVID stuff

Many of the course modules are partially based on my book Top-Down
Network
Design. Many of the modules say that Top-Down Network Design is
recommended
reading. Top-Down Network Design doesn't cover some newer topics,
though,
such as SAFE and AVVID, although it did cover voice in a limited
fashion,
since Cisco has been harping on that for years now. DESGN covers voice
in
gory detail, however. It seems to have all of the old CVOICE course in
it.

Each module in DESGN has many chapters, each of which is literally
hundreds
of pages long. The person turning it into a book (not me unfortunately)
is
going to have a heyday. :-)

I haven't taken the new test, but if it really tests all that's in the
course, it's going to be one of the hardest tests out there (and that's
good thing. It's about time design got some respect. :-)

Anyway, bottom line: if you can take the older version of the test, then
there's lots of study materials. If you have to take the newer version,
then
you should take the instructor-led DESGN class or wait a few months for
study material.

Priscilla