Hemingway wrote:
> > b.) the DLCI is not a globally unique identifier, like the
> MAC address in
> > the case of an Ethernet switch, rather has only local
> significance and it
> > might change along the path (aka PVC) from switch to switch.
>

> Actually, there is such a thing as a "universal" DLCI. PVO and
> I and a
> couple of other folks researched this thoroughly one Saturday a
> couple of
> years ago. It is an extension to the standard, and allows(
> going from memory
> here )  for an extended DLCI field that supports a 15 bit
> identifier. This
> means that a unique DLCI is assigned to every customer device
> in the cloud.
>
> To my knowledge, no telco supports this, for a lot of reasons,
> not the least

There's got to be some use for that Extended Address (EA) bit! :-) It can
actually be in the header 4 times. If it's set to 0, it means the next byte
has more DLCI address bits in it. A DLCI can be 10 bits, 16 bits, or 23 bits.

The fields that most of us know hold the 10-bit DLCI look like this:

6 bits DLCI, C/R bit, EA=0
4 bits DLCI, FECN, BECN, DE, EA=1

But here's another standard option:

6 bits DLCI, C/R bit, EA=0
4 bits DLCI, FECN, BECN, DE, EA=0
6 bits DLCI, 0, EA=1

And yet another standard option:

6 bits DLCI, C/R bit, EA=0
4 bits DLCI, FECN, BECN, DE, EA =0
7 bits DLCI, EA=0
6 bits DLCI, 0, EA =1

Priscilla, yet another purveyor of protocol trivia :-)