""Zsombor Papp""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> At 06:33 PM 6/24/2003 +0000, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> >Aaron Ajello wrote:
> > >
> > > This is probably a very simple concept question, but I've asked
> > > a couple people and haven't gotten a solid answer.
> > >
> > > If I've got two frame relay spoke sites connected point to
> > > point with a hub site and a server in one spoke site copies a
> > > file to a server in the other spoke site, does all the traffic
> > > pass through the hub site, or is it switched within the frame
> > > cloud?
> >
> >All the traffic passes through the hub site.
> >

> > > I guess what I'm wondering is does a frame cloud act somewhat
> > > like a lan, where initially packets will go through the default
> > > gateway and be routed and then the following packets will be
> > > switched?
> >
> >A frame cloud does act like a LAN but a LAN without a router (and no
> >broadcasting, but that's another story). You mixed metaphors by sticking
in
> >the router, which is a layer up. The only reason a LAN switch can route
and
> >then switch is because it's really a router (dare I say L3 switch!? :-)
Or
> >it is in communication with a router, running Cisco's Multilayer
Switching
> >Protcol (MLSP), and has an understanding of L3 addressing.
> >
> >A Frame Relay switch is just a L2 switch. It really does behave quite a
bit
> >like a classic LAN L2 switch. It has a switching table that has a set of
> >entries that say, "if packet comes in on this DLCI, it goes out on that
> >DLCI." This is similar to a L2 bridging/switching cam table, although
there
> >are differences.
>
> The main differences being that
>
> a.) the FR switch typically doesn't learn the DLCI numbers dynamically,
> rather the service provider needs to configure it hop-by-hop, and
>
> b.) the DLCI is not a globally unique identifier, like the MAC address in
> the case of an Ethernet switch, rather has only local significance and it
> might change along the path (aka PVC) from switch to switch.

Actually, there is such a thing as a "universal" DLCI. PVO and I and a
couple of other folks researched this thoroughly one Saturday a couple of
years ago. It is an extension to the standard, and allows( going from memory
here )  for an extended DLCI field that supports a 15 bit identifier. This
means that a unique DLCI is assigned to every customer device in the cloud.

To my knowledge, no telco supports this, for a lot of reasons, not the least
of which is the complexity and the lack of capacity to support end to end
across several provider networks.

An enterprise running it's own frame network, say using Stratacom equipment,
for example, might find this of value.

I've done a couple of quick looks on CCO and have not found any links. My
recollection is that we researched outside of cisco to find the info, and
there may be some links on CCO but my phrasing is not turning them up

just another bit of pretty much useless information I've run across over the
years. :->

> Thanks,
>
> Zsombor
>

> >The Frame Relay switch understands the virtual circuits that have been
> >provisioned to the customer.
> >
> >With a hub and spoke topology, the spokes don't have a virtual circuit to
> >each other. They just have a virtual circuit to the hub.
> >
> >So imagine a hub and spoke topology with Chicago being the Hub. Make Los
> >Angeles and Miami the spokes.
> >
> >Chicago has two virtual circuits:
> >
> >DLCI 100 goes to Los Angeles
> >DLCI 200 goes to Miami
> >
> >Los Angeles has just one virtual circuit:
> >DLCI 777 goes to Chicago
> >
> >Miami has just one virtual circuit
> >DLCI 888 goes to Chicago
> >

> >A switch in Chicago has two entries in its switching table:
> >
> >incoming = 100, outgoing = 777
> >incoming = 200, outoing = 888
> >

> >A switch in Los Angeles has the following entry in its switching table
> >
> >incoming = 777, outgoing = 100
> >

> >A switch in Miam has the following entry in its switching table
> >
> >incoming = 888, outgoing = 200
> >

> >If you can get your hands on enough routers, set up one of them to be a
> >Frame Relay switch in a hub-and-spoke topology. Just a switch, no
routing.
> >It's truly an eye opener to manually configure its switching table (and
it
> >is generally done manually, unlike a LAN switch.)
> >
> >Actually, from what I understand, there can be intermediate DLCIs in the
> >cloud too, but that's a high-level view. Someone can correct me if I'm
wrong
> >about it. I'm a bit tired after the NetBIOS biopsy or was it a lobotomy.
:-)