I can see that point of view too, although it's an expensive 12 days, it may
be the only way if you're that busy.
When my employer needed CCNP a few years ago, I negotiated study leave
rather than going on the courses, so I could sit at home with the books and
a bunch of routers. They save a couple of grand per week.
I think it depends on what level you're at. If you've done a fair bit of
hands on anyway, then the courses can waste a lot of time going over old
ground.

 I prefer the book and a bit of peace and quiet with the mobile phone turned
off. Luckily my insomnia gives me a few hours after my family go to bed. If
your family are still at home during the day, study leave may not be a good
thing.
You could always leave the book in the bathroom and do it bit by bit.
Careful if you read for too long though you can lose the use of your legs
completely :-)

Horses for courses I suppose.

Good Luck anyway

Bikespace