I work for a small growing business and am currently evaluating two types of
network analyzer software.  EtherPeek NX and Sniffer Portable (Sniffer Pro).

Since the versions that I have are not the full production versions (only
for evalutation purposes), I am limited to the functionality I can do with
each.

I know there is an extensive difference in price (Etherpeek NX is somewhere
around $2000-2500 range, and Sniffer Portable (Pro) is somewhere greater
than $10,000.  For a small growing company, it is hard to justify over
$10,000 for a piece of software, when I can get something comparable for
much less, especially when we are in a time where we have to justify our jobs.

What I would like to know, if anyone has experience with both of these
applications, and what capabilities that Sniffer Pro offers, that Etherpeek
NX does not.

I would also like to know if anyone has experience with Ethereal (for
Linux).  I know it is free and it has much less functionality than Etherpeek
NX or Sniffer, but I would like an opinion on that to.

Thanks.