""John Neiberger""  wrote in message ...
> > There are two types of worthwhile packet capture software:
> > 1) free Unix-based
> > 2) commerical Unix-based
>
> You have mentioned this before but I'm wondering why you discount the use
of
> Windows-based software like Etherpeek? I've been using it for a couple of
> years and I'm quite happy with it. Other than the fact that it's on a
> Winblows platform, what don't you like about them?

Ability for more than one person to access packet capture capabilities
remotely, while being able to adjust different capture and display filters
simultaneously, or for two or more people to work together on a problem
and see the same results on the screen.  And to do so securely, in a
consistent
manner, and with standardized software that always works.  Also - timing and
NIC drivers are extremely important issues for packet capture devices....if
one
were to compare, say, Unix NTP (and underlying kernel timing) to
Windows2k/XP NTP (and lack of kernel/userland timing)...or even abililty
to accurately capture the data without losing any...which Windows fails
on...

-dre