I'm just now digging deeper into current VPN technologies since I'm
researching Qwest's PRN service. I'm awaiting a definitive answer from them
but it appears that their PRN service is 2764-based, which apparently means
it does not use MPLS like 2547-based VPNs. I'm curious about the
implications of choosing one model over the other.

I thought the market trend was toward MPLS-based VPNs but 2764 seems to
argue against that. What are the implications of choosing one model over the
other? Are there any major drawbacks to either one that the other
addresses?

I'm also a little concerned about vendor choices. Nortel seems to be pushing
2764, while Cisco and possibly Juniper are pushing 2547 and MPLS. Is that
correct? If so, is that really that important to the customer?

Forgive me if these questions seem pretty vague. I'm still learning about
the technologies involved and I'm not very familiar with the specifics and
the terminology.

I'll put in a plug here for Howard's book _Building Service Provider
Networks_. Among a number of things it discusses some of these VPN
technologies and has been very helpful the last couple of days during my
research.

John