> I wonder what the logic for that is.

I wonder, too. :)

Without answering your question, I would like to point out though that the
"moment" for which there is BDR but no DR is *really* brief. The election
process is not something that the routers need to discuss among themselves;
every router elects the DR/BDR independently. This is a point that folks
miss sometimes. So if there is no DR, then the router that eventually
becomes the DR will know *immediately* that it needs to be the DR, because
the DR selection is just a function call away from the BDR selection. It's
not like the routers have a chit-chat to discuss who will be the BDR, and
then they have a rest, and subsequently they discuss who will be the DR... :)

In other words, there is no OSPF information exchange between the routers
during the process described on Page 75 in RFC2328.

Another slightly related thing is that, in the scenario you described below,
ie. when all the routers on the same segment are booting up at the same
time, then for a relatively long time (ie. the Dead interval) all of them
will go into a Waiting state so there won't be any election process for
long-long seconds to start with. Compared to this, I guess it is pretty
insignificant whether the election process selects the DR a few microseconds
sooner or later.

Thanks,

Zsombor