The OSPF interface priority is the parameter that controls DR election. Its
default value is 1.  When OSPF interface priority is 0, the router is
not
eligible to become a DR.  If a router comes up on a network segment and
there
are no other routers there already, it will become a DR.  If there is an
existing DR (or BDR), the new router will NOT attempt to preempt them.  If
several routers come up at roughly the same time (or the DR fails), a new DR
election process will be triggered.  The router with the highest priority
value
then will become a DR.

 In short, the DR/BDR election process is not deterministic and depends on
the
sequence of events.  Therefore it is important to be able to prevent routers
from EVER becoming DR/BDR, when that is appropriate for the topology in
which
they are connected.  This si accomplished by setting their OSPF interface
priority to 0:

ospf set interface  priority 0

So there has to be a DR first and after that there will be an BDR
If you start an router on itsself not yet connected to the network it will
start as an BDR.

Quoting "DeVoe, Charles (PKI)" :

> I am reading the CCNP/CCIP  BSCI Study Guide by Todd Lammle from Sybex.  In
> the OSPF section under the discussion of DR and BDR  (page 171) he says
that
> the BDR is chosen first and that the DR is chosen from the reaming list.
> That seems illogical and backwards.  Can someone please confirm or deny and
> explain it.  Thanks
> http://shop.groupstudy.com

Iwan Hoogendoorn