At 6:36 PM +0000 8/25/03, Robert Edmonds wrote:
>To add to Chuck's comment: If you're familiar with Cisco, your sanity is
>also the difference.  The way Nortel configures their routers is
>dramatically different and can leave you very frustrated if you're not used
>to them.  Do they still use Site Mangler...er, I mean Manager?  In all
>honesty, it's probably a lot easier, but if you're a CLI officianado, a GUI
>can really screw with your mind.
>
>Robert

Site Mangler is pretty much dead except in shops that are used to it.
It was a practical market requirement to be Cisco CLI-like, although
you obviously can't have every command alike when the underlying
structure is different.

Now, I may have a bias because I know the internals and the
developers, but BCC (not Technician Interface) is actually rather
elegant.  Inside Bay RS, the command language is strictly object and
MIB oriented, where many Cisco commands are more ad hoc.

Unfortunately, Nortel has gotten rid of almost all of its IP experts,
and has no central routing R&D group.