The problem with analogies is that they often help you understand the
correct answer to a question, but seldom help you understand the "why"
behind the answer.  The analogies I like to use most often are the models of
the protocols themselves.  Think of each protocol as a state machine, or
rather state machines running on each router/switch in the network, and you
will seldom get the answer wrong.  If you understand how that state machine
works and run it in your head, then you really }can't{ get the wrong answer.

I'd point "Curious" here:

http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/

and just tell him/her to read the IEEE specs.  It's all clear as day.  It's
unbelievable how many "network engineers" don't even keep a copy of the
standards (IEEE specs, RFCs) they are supposed to be implementing in their
toolkit, and even more amazing how many of them haven't even read the
standards at least once.

Fred Reimer - CCNA

Eclipsys Corporation, 200 Ashford Center North, Atlanta, GA 30338
Phone: 404-847-5177  Cell: 770-490-3071  Pager: 888-260-2050

NOTICE; This email contains confidential or proprietary information which
may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the named recipient(s).
If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected the email, please
notify the author by replying to this message. If you are not the named
recipient, you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print
or rely on this email, and should immediately delete it from your computer.