I think Dom is referring to the adoption process, not the protocol
definition/development. IS-IS was defined before OSPF, IMHO.

On the other hand, I would be interested to hear why IS-IS was (is?) more
scalable. In particular, what are those 3 largish tables and why would OSPF
need to scale to multiple AS's?

Thanks,

Zsombor