""Steven Aiello""  wrote in message ...
> Any one know of a good network monitor prog.?  It doesn't have to be
> free but not to expensive.  My budget is nill.  Any recomendations?

unix-based free / open-source:

netsaint, nagios, zabbix, rtg, rt-snmp (ticketing system with snmp hooks),
jffnms, cricket, cacti, percival, nocol, nmis, net-snmp, snmptt, sec, et al.

of the above, i've used rtg, cricket, cacti, nocol, and net-snmp.  most
people prefer to use net-snmp libraries along with mysql libraries and
build their own interface using perl, python, php and/or javascript on
a unix box running apache.

this site lists some of the above:
http://inet-ops.stealthgeeks.net/software.html

unix-based commercial:

micromuse netcool (expensive), opsware (expensive), hpov nnm
(expensive), open nervecenter (expensive)

i've used all of the above except opsware.  i can honestly say
that hpov nnm is very likely worth the money (including the ecs
designer) for snmp traps if you can't afford anything better (e.g.
netcool mttrapd or even nervecenter is much better).  the best
thing about the commercial software is the support and
consistency.  if you are a serious IT/enterprise organization,
you'll want to foot the bill for at least hpov nnm.  you will
probably want to get cisco syslog messages into your trap
infrastructure as well.  all of this takes customization, but at
least with these products, you are customizing something
standard and well-known, with a gui that most operators
have seen, or are intuitively geared towards.

-dre